In case you missed it, DISH accepted its first bitcoin payment earlier this month from Austin and Beccy Craig, stars of the upcoming documentary Life on Bitcoin. Check out the video from the transaction and see just how easy it is to pay your DISH bill with bitcoin.
For those of you who are just getting started with the digital “cryptocurrency,” we sat down with Austin and Beccy to hear a few tips for new bitcoin users:
- Get to know bitcoin. What is bitcoin? You can think of bitcoin as sending money with email. If you’re familiar with PayPal, bitcoin will feel similar.
- Sign up for a bitcoin wallet. A wallet is the digital home for your bitcoins. Just as you need an email address to use email, you’ll need a bitcoin wallet to hold bitcoin. Coinbase is the easiest bitcoin wallet to use, and the look and feel of the app makes it comfortable to send bitcoin simply.
- Buy your first bitcoin. If you’re considering buying bitcoin, don’t wait for the “right time” to buy. Many bitcoin exchanges will help you connect to a bank account to buy and sell bitcoin for US dollars or other currencies. The right time to buy… is right now!
- Pay with bitcoin. You can use bitcoin for regular purchases, like paying for your DISH TV bill, but if you want to introduce bitcoin to a business, it’s probably better to start with a smaller merchant, like a vendor at the farmer’s market. Many already use smart devices (which bitcoin requires) and are eager for a sale.
- Host a bitmob. Once you are set up on bitcoin, you can help spread the word in your community by setting up a bitmob. A bitmob is when a group of bitcoiners all visit a local business, and all pay with bitcoin. It helps new businesses become interested in bitcoin, and it is a great way to interact with other bitcoin enthusiasts.
Questions on how to pay your DISH bill with bitcoin? Tweet @DISH_Answers for help, and follow @DISHNews to hear the latest from DISH!