San Diego Comic-Con 2022 was held last weekend, the first in-person event for SDCC since 2019. It did not disappoint. Between major announcements about the Marvel Cinematic Universe, previews of some of the most anticipated new shows of the year, and the first-look at the future of popular franchises like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, there are plenty of news nuggets to digest.
To help you wash it all down, here’s a brief summary of the biggest news out of Comic-Con. For more news and features on your favorite shows and movies on DISH, be sure to bookmark this blog.
- House of the Dragon, HBO’s new Game of Thrones spin-off series, got a new extended trailer ahead of the show’s premiere on Sunday, Aug. 21.
- Producers of The Walking Dead announced a new spin-off show centered on Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira). Expect the six-episode series to premiere on AMC in 2023.
- Although Melissa McBride is no longer in a co-leading role, production is moving forward on another Walking Dead spin-off show about Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus). McBride’s character Carol is still expected to appear in the series, which Screen Rant says will focus on Daryl’s “mysterious solo mission to Europe.”
- The next Walking Dead spin-off, the anthology series Tales of the Walking Dead, dropped its trailer. Watch the premiere Sunday, Aug. 14 on AMC.
- AMC’s new deal with the estate of novelist Anne Rice kicks off this fall with the highly-anticipated adaptation of Interview with a Vampire. Check out the first trailer here.
- SYFY’s Resident Alien was renewed for a third season just days before its cast appeared at Comic-Con. The second half of its second season premieres on Wednesday, Aug. 10.
- The cast of ABC’s breakout hit Abbott Elementary joined Comic-Con virtually from the show’s set. The show’s creator and star, Quinta Brunson, revealed that the season 2 premiere will feature a cameo from her “favorite-ever star,” according to the AV Club.
- The cast of Archer on FXX joined Comic-Con to share stories about their late cast-member Jessica Walters. Archer’s 13th season premieres on Wednesday, Aug. 24.
- The other FXX animated series debuting next month, Little Demon, will feature a reunion between its star, Danny DeVito, and his Twins co-star Arnold Schwarzenegger. Catch the premiere Thursday, Aug. 25 on FXX.
- Rick and Morty co-creator Dan Harmon previewed his new animated FOX show Krapopolis. Harmon said the show will have a special preview this November before its official premiere in 2023.
- The new blockbuster Amazon Prime series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power had a 90-minute panel moderated by diehard Tolkien fan Stephen Colbert. A new trailer for the series dropped last week; it’s set to premiere Sunday, Sept. 2 on Prime Video.
- Amazon also announced that its other major fantasy series, The Wheel of Time, has been picked up for a third season.
- The new Netflix adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved Sandman comic series released a trailer ahead of the show’s release on Aug. 5.
- Netflix’s He-Man reboot/ sequel Masters of the Universe: Revolution added Nerd God William Shatner to its voice cast.
- Speaking of animated sequels, HBO Max announced that its Gremlins spin-off Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai will include a guest role for Zach Galligan, who played Billy Peltzer in the original films.
- Marvel released the first trailer for its next movie, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, due in theaters on Nov. 11. The new trailer, which teases the introduction of Marvel figurehead Namor, is emotional (and perfect).
- Marvel also announced its full slate of “Phase 5” movies and Disney+ series, including Blade (Nov. 3, 2023) and Captain America: New World Order (May 3, 2024). Marvel head Kevin Fiege also teased Phase 6 releases Fantastic Four (Nov. 8, 2024) and back-to-back Avengers movies: Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is due on May 2, 2025, followed by Avengers: Secret Wars on Nov. 7, 2025.
- The DCEU also made a splash, debuting a fresh trailer for the new Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson movie Black Adam and the Shazam! sequel, Shazam!: Fury of the Gods.
- Fans also got a first look at the upcoming fourth installment of the John Wick franchise, due in theaters March 24, 2023.
And the first trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves was released. It rolls out March 3, 2023 and stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Rege-Jean Page.