DISH Network L.L.C. Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice (this “Notice”) explains how DISH Network L.L.C. and its affiliates collect, use and share information about DISH subscribers and others who visit DISH websites, view DISH advertisements, or interact with DISH products or services (the “Services”). In this Notice, the terms “DISH”, “DISH Network”, “we”, “us”, and “our” refer to DISH Network L.L.C. and its affiliates, which collectively own and/or operate the DISH® direct broadcast satellite television service and all other services that are available now or in the future from DISH (whether subscription, pay-per-view or otherwise). The term “you” refers to you as a subscriber to or user of our Services. Your use of our Services constitutes your acceptance of this Notice.
This Notice does not apply to EchoStar Corporation or its subsidiaries or the Sling TV service, the dishNET satellite service, the dishNET wireline service, or any other product or service provided by DISH that is covered by a separate privacy notice.
California Notice at Collection of Personal Information: We collect personal information listed below under “What Personal Information Do We Collect About You?” for the purposes described below under “How Do We Use Personal Information About You?” To learn more about your California privacy rights, including your right to opt out of the sale of personal information, please scroll down to “Your California Privacy Rights.”
QUICK GUIDE TO CONTENTS
- What Information Do We Collect About You?
- How Do We Use Personal Information About You?
- What Personal Information Do We Share with Others?
- How Is Your Information Used for Advertising Purposes?
- What Choices Do You Have?
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Third-Party Services and Websites
- Your Nevada Privacy Rights
- How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
- How Long Do We Maintain Your Personal Information?
- Who Can You Contact with Any Questions or Concerns?
- What about Changes to This Notice?
1. What Personal Information Do We Collect About You?
We collect and keep personal information you give to us when you sign up for an account, including: your name, service address, billing address, e-mail address, telephone number, social security number, bank account and/or credit card number, logins and passwords to Services, security questions and codes, and other account information. We may also collect and keep other information about your account with us, such as billing and payment history, customer service interactions, and equipment and programming options. If you participate in the DISH Insiders community, we may collect personal information that you provide, such as your feedback on programming.
When you use our Services, we and/or third parties automatically collect usage information, including application usage data and logs, device type and ID, IP address, and location information. This usage information may be in various formats (electronic, audio, and other), and may be collected through our Services or through third-party devices such as third-party streaming devices, or applications provided through or used to access our Services. Please see Third-Party Services and Websites below for more information.
When you or someone in your household watches a video program through our Services, we may collect a record of your viewing activity. This applies to live television programming as well as video on demand, pay per view, and DVR services.
Corporate Affiliates and Third-Party Information
We also may receive information about you and your household from our corporate affiliates and third parties such as programmers, business partners, consumer reporting agencies, and other data companies. This information may allow us to send you promotions that interest you or serve advertisements to you that match your interests and concerns.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Services to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of sixteen. If we learn that a child under the age of sixteen has provided personal information through the Services, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from our files.
2.How Do We Use Personal Information About You?
We use information we’ve collected and received from and about you and your account (“Information About You”) primarily for business or commercial activities, which may include:
- providing, operating, and maintaining our services;
- billing and collections;
- confirming that you are receiving the level(s) of service requested and are properly billed;
- identifying when changes are made to your account or services;
- informing you of Services that may be of interest to you;
- making programming recommendations;
- understanding your use of our Services in order to consider improving them;
- obtaining user surveys, recommendations and reviews;
- marketing our Services and those of select business partners;
- delivering addressable or customized advertising and offers to you within the Services, via email, or through other web sites and platforms (for more information see Section 4 below);
- detecting fraud and unauthorized reception of our Services;
- determining whether applicable policies and terms of service are being violated;
- configuring satellite television service-related devices;
- performing statistical or qualitative research and analysis;
- maintaining our do not contact lists;
- complying with law; and
- other uses as necessary to provide our Services.
Personal information and usage information may be aggregated and/or de-identified for other business and marketing uses by us.
We may combine the various information we collect and receive from and about you, including account information, personal information, usage information, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from corporate affiliates and third-party sources.
3. What Personal Information Do We Share with Others?
We may share information about you with others as follows:
A. With Service Providers
We may share information about you with companies that work for or provide services to us, such as our:
- Billing processors;
- Software providers;
- Marketing companies;
- Outside auditors and professional advisors;
- Potential business merger, acquisition, or sale partners;
- Regulators, government agencies; and
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies.
B. With Mailing List Partners
We may share your name and address with others, such as charities, marketing organizations, corporate affiliates, or other businesses for satellite or non-satellite “mailing list” purposes. Any such disclosure for “mailing list” purposes would be limited to subscriber names and addresses, and the disclosure does not reveal, directly or indirectly, (i) the extent of any subscriber’s viewing or use of a satellite service or other Service provided by us; or (ii) the nature of any transaction made by the subscriber over any facilities used by us.
C. With Corporate Entities for Business Transfers
We may transfer your personal information if we are involved, whether in whole or in part, in a merger, sale, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy, or other change of ownership or control. If another entity acquires us or any of our assets, information we have collected about you may be transferred to such entity. In addition, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be sold or transferred to third parties. Should such a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to try to require that the transferee use personal information provided through the Services in a manner that is consistent with this Notice.
D. With Law Enforcement or Other Third Parties for Legal, Compliance, and Safety Purposes
We may be required by law to comply with a valid legal process, such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant, or where there is a lawful request, to disclose information about you. We may also share information about you to protect our customers, employees, or property; in emergency situations; and to enforce our rights under our terms of service and policies, in court or elsewhere.
E. “Just in Time” Notice, With Your Consent, or At Your Request
We also may share your information as disclosed to you at the time of collection, with your consent, or as requested by you.
F. Sharing of De-identified, Aggregated or Pseudonymous Information
Aggregated and de-identified information
We may share information collected or received from or about you in de-identified and/or aggregate formats. We may share this with companies that collect and compile consumer data, including those that create reports about what programs people watch.
To companies and networks that provide programming
We may share information with networks and other providers of programming about what packages our subscribers have purchased and what programs our subscribers watch. We may also share some demographic or usage information. This information is de-identified and/or aggregated, and we will not tell the programmer which individuals or households watched the program.
To advertisers and companies that provide advertising services
4. How Is Your Information Used for Advertising Purposes?
We may use information about you for marketing or advertising purposes in the following ways:
- To provide you with more relevant TV advertising. We may use information we have collected or received from or about you through your use of the Services or from third parties to show you advertisements that match your interests. We use information such as service packages purchased, pay-per-view or video-on-demand purchases, and program viewing data. We may also use demographic and interest information (such as gender, family size, and hobbies) you provide or that we obtain from other companies. You may be able to opt out of this addressable advertising, as described below in the “What Choices Do You Have?” section.
- To provide you with advertising for our Services. We may use information we have collected or received from or about you through use of the Service or from third parties to provide you with marketing information, offers and advertisements for our Services or to exclude you from receiving certain marketing information, offers or advertisements. Our activities with respect to such marketing information, offers and advertisements may occur through our Services or third-party websites and platforms.
- To provide others with more relevant advertising. We and our advertising partners may also use information collected from or about you by us or our advertising partners and information we obtain about you from third parties to deliver advertising that is targeted for individuals with similar interests. We may combine aggregated and/or de-identified information to create groups based on actual or assumed shared interests and/or factual characteristics. We also combine information about the programming that our customers watch on the Services with their common interests to help us figure out what advertising may be most relevant.
5. What Choices Do You Have?
A. Cookies and Do Not Track
Certain parts of our Services require cookies. You may adjust your device or Internet browser settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be automatically recognized upon revisiting and may not be able to use certain features of the Services or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device’s settings or your Internet browser’s “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your device or browser from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
We might not recognize “Do Not Track” requests or headers from some or all Internet browsers.
B. Interest-Based Online Advertising Choices
You may ask us to stop using cookies on Dish.com that help us deliver more relevant advertising to you. To make this choice, please visit https://www.dish.com/ad-preferences.
To understand your other choices for receiving more relevant online advertising, please review the information below:
- To learn more about interest-based advertising, and to opt out of collection and use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies, please visit this link. To opt out of targeted advertising through mobile applications, please visit this link.
- To opt out of collection and use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) member companies, please visit this link.
- To opt out of certain interest-based advertising provided by the Trade Desk you can visit this link
- To opt out of personalized advertising delivered by LiveRamp visit this link.
Even if you opt out, you will still receive advertising from us and third parties. You may also still receive TV advertising from us or third parties that is customized based on information we’ve collected or received from or about you or on information about your online activities from third parties that are not DAA or NAI participating companies.
C. Addressable TV Advertising Choices
You may limit DISH’s delivery of addressable television advertisements that were selected for you using your information by logging into your MyDish account (log into My Account, then click My Profile, and then select “do not sell my information”) or contacting us in writing at the mailing address listed in the contact section below.
D. Other Choices Concerning the Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
You also may choose to limit certain collection or disclosure of your information as follows:
- You may limit our disclosure of your personal information for “mailing list” purposes by contacting us in writing at the mailing address listed in the contact section below.
- You may limit our collection of viewer measurement data from your set-top box by contacting us in writing at the mailing address listed in the contact section below.
In any written request to DISH, be sure to include your name, address, telephone number, and your DISH account number. The written request should be signed by the person who is identified in our billing records as the subscriber. If you have a joint account, a request by one party will apply to the entire account. If you have multiple accounts, your notice must separately identify each account covered by the request.
E. What Access Do You Have to Your Personal Information?
You can obtain access to the personal information that we collect and maintain from and about you that is held in our regular business records (generally, billing and account information).
If you wish to obtain a copy of this information, please mail a written notarized request for a copy of your personal information to DISH Network L.L.C., Attn: PRIVACY, P.O. Box 6655, Englewood, CO 80155-6655, giving us a reasonable period of time to locate and prepare the information for your review. All requests must include your DISH account number. We will mail the information to you at your current billing address. You will be permitted to request only records that contain personal information about you and no one else. To protect you and ensure that the request is being made by the true person to whom the information pertains, we will process only notarized requests. You will be provided a reasonable opportunity to correct errors if any of the personal information is inaccurate.
6. Your California Privacy Rights
In addition to the disclosures made elsewhere in this Notice, we provide California residents with the following disclosures in accordance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”):
- Categories of Personal Information Collected: We collect the following categories of personal information for the business and commercial purposes described above in this Notice: identifiers/account information, characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, commercial information, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, financial information associated with you, and inferences drawn from the above. The sources of this personal information are our customers, operating systems and platforms, advertising networks, data analytics providers, and data brokers.
- Categories of Personal Information Sold: In the last 12 months, we have sold the following categories of personal information: identifiers/account information, commercial information, internet or other electronic network activity information, and inferences drawn from the above. Each category was sold to the following categories of third parties: corporate affiliates, data analytics providers, advertising partners and/or networks, telecommunication companies, social networks, and data brokers. We do not knowingly sell personal information about persons under the age of 16.
- Categories of Personal Information Disclosed for a Business Purpose: In the last 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose (such as with our service providers who are restricted from using your personal information outside the scope of their services for DISH): identifiers/account information, characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, commercial information, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, financial information associated with you, and inferences drawn from the above. To learn more, see “What Personal Information Do We Share with Others?” above.
Access and Deletion Requests
California residents have the right to know what personal information that we have collected, disclosed, and sold about them. In particular, they may:
Request, up to two times each year, that we disclose to you:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information that we collected about you in the preceding 12 months, the business purpose for such collection, and corresponding categories of sources from which we collected the information;
- the categories of personal information, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed your personal information in the preceding 12 months, and the business or commercial purpose for such disclosure; and
- the categories of personal information and the categories of third parties to whom we sold your personal information in the preceding 12 months, and the commercial purpose for such sale.
Request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. Note that there are some reasons we will not be able to fully address your request, such as if we need personal information to complete a transaction for you, provide you with Services you request, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, for our internal purposes, or to comply with a legal or audit obligation.
To take advantage of any of these rights, please contact us at +1(866) 986-0068 or visit our Privacy Portal. We may request certain information to verify your identity before we can respond to your access and deletion requests. We value your privacy and will not discriminate in response to your exercise of your privacy rights. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 business days and will respond to your request within 45 calendar days, after proper verification, unless we need additional time, in which case we will let you know.
To opt out of the sale of your personal information, please click on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link on our website footer or provided here.
You may authorize someone to make a privacy rights request on your behalf (an authorized agent). Authorized agents will need to demonstrate that you’ve authorized them to act on your behalf, and that they are registered with the California Secretary of State to conduct business in California, or must demonstrate they have power of attorney pursuant to applicable probate law. We retain the right to request confirmation directly from you confirming that the agent is authorized to make such a request, or to request additional information to confirm the agent’s identity. An authorized agent is prohibited from using a consumer’s personal information, or any information collected from or about the consumer, for any purpose other than to fulfill the consumer’s requests, for verification, or for fraud prevention. Authorized agents may go here to submit a request.
7. Third-Party Services and Websites
When you use a third-party streaming device or voice assistant through our Services (including the Voice Remote with Google Integration), or access a third-party service, application, or website, even when doing so through our Services, you should review the privacy statements of the third party to understand what information they may collect and keep. We are not responsible for the practices of such third parties. We may also collect usage information related to those third-party products, services, applications, or websites if they are accessed through our Services.
You may also choose, when available, to connect your account with third party accounts, including with third-party social networks. If you share information about your usage of or activities on our Services with such third-party accounts, then the collection, use, and disclosure of such information will be subject to that third party’s privacy policies, which may differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such third parties.
8. Your Nevada Privacy Rights
Nevada law permits Nevada residents to make certain requests about how their personal information is shared with third parties or affiliated companies. To make such a request, please visit our Privacy Portal.
9. How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
We use commercially reasonable efforts to protect information we collect and maintain against loss; misuse; and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, even with appropriate security measures in place, we cannot guarantee the security of the information under our control.
10. How Long Do We Maintain Your Personal Information?
We maintain personal information about you in our regular business records while you are a subscriber to any of our Services. We also maintain personal information about you for a period of time after you are no longer a subscriber to satisfy legal or tax requirements, for fraud prevention, or for business purposes.
11. Who Can You Contact with Any Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Notice, or our privacy practices, please contact us at the following address:
DISH Network L.L.C.
P.O. Box 6655
Englewood, CO 80155-6655
12. What About Changes to This Notice?
We may modify this Notice at any time. We will notify you of any material changes through written, electronic, or other means as permitted by law.