Stephen Colbert ended his Comedy Central run on The Colbert Report in December. Shortly thereafter, David Letterman left The Late Show in May, after more than 20 years as host.
Although these two endings were bittersweet for The Colbert Report and Letterman fan bases, those of us who love late-night TV weren’t left adrift for too long. Why? Because these events turned into a spectacular new beginning: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Colbert will take over as host of The Late Show in September, and the only thing we know for sure about his return to late night is what he won’t be bringing to the table. That is, he won’t be playing the iconic pundit character we know and love from the Report. But just because his character isn’t returning doesn’t mean he won’t be bringing back some of the things we loved about The Colbert Report, right? We can only hope.
So, in true Letterman fashion, we’ve put together a top 10 list about Stephen Colbert’s new hosting gig. Tonight’s category is … the top 10 things we hope Colbert will bring to The Late Show.
10. His iconic segments, like “Better Know a District” and “The Word,” which brought us such joyful moments as learning what “truthiness” is.
9. His friendship — or, dare I say, bromance — with former boss and fellow Comedy Central icon Jon Stewart.
8. His extreme nerdiness, especially when it comes to things like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.
7. His desk. Seriously. He pulled puppies out from under there on multiple occasions.
6. His smart, daring and often hilarious interviews with both politicos and celebrities.
5. His beautiful singing voice — there’s no way we’ve heard the last of that. Not to mention the amazing musical guests he had on the Report over the years.
4. And, if we’re going to mention the singing, let’s not forget his great dance skills.
3. The enthusiasm for his audience — or as he calls it, the “Colbert Nation” — that on one infamous occasion led to a broken wrist (followed by endless “Wrist Watch” jokes).
2. His genius wit.
And the No. 1 thing we hope Stephen Colbert will bring to The Late Show is:
1. His uncanny ability to make us laugh so hard we cry every single night. Thanks, Stephen — and don’t even think about slowing down any time soon.