Contrary to popular belief, the most popular time of year to buy a new television isn’t just Black Friday. Football fans probably won’t be surprised to find out that the other hot time to buy is right before the Super Bowl. It’s pretty easy to see why. Who wouldn’t want a chance to break in a brand new TV with one of the biggest events of the year? A Consumer Electronics Association survey indicated 22% of Americans have bought TVs specifically for the Super Bowl. It helps that many stores have picked up on the trend, and now offer deals that are as good as, if not better than, those offered during Black Friday.
If you’re looking to make the big purchase, we’ve tracked down some of the best deals available before the big game. Inspired by a recent FatWallet.com survey that indicated 84% of buyers want a TV between 40-inches and 70-inches, we found deals that cover a wide range of TV sizes and types.
Keep an eye out for these deals to help you enjoy Super Bowl 50:
40 – 50 inch
This is the most common range of TV sizes that consumers tend to buy, in good part because they’re budget friendly and frequently on sale. If you’re especially looking to buy a TV just for the big football game, anything less than 40” just isn’t worthy of the Super Bowl. Here are the best deals:
- Walmart has a Samsung 40″ 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV on sale for $327.99 (a savings of $221), with a SmartTV version also on sale for a little bit more $377.99.
- If you want a little bit bigger, there’s a LG 42” 1080p HDTV for $279.99 ($120 worth of savings).
- But if you’re looking to push the limits of that 40-50” inch range, Buydig.com has a LG 49″ LED Full HD 1080p HDTV for $397.99 (38% off).
- Best Buy also has a Toshiba 49” LED 1080p HD TV for $349.99 ($80 off).
50 – 60 inch
Now we’re getting into the sizes for those of you who want to be a bit more ambitious in your viewing. Given that many tend to already have televisions in the 40-50” range, when it comes time to buy a new one, who doesn’t instinctively want to go bigger? What sense is a new TV if you aren’t upgrading a little? For those looking to finally break the 50” mark, here are some good pre-Super Bowl deals:
- If you want to crack the 50” category, Dell is offering a good deal on a Samsung 50” LED Smart TV HDTV for $547.99 ($402 off).
- If you’re looking for bigger, Best Buy seems to be one of the best bets: they have a Toshiba 55” 1080p HDTV for $399.99 ($150 worth of savings), a Samsung 55” LED 1080p Smart HDTV for $699.99 ($150 in savings), or a Roku-ready LG 55” LED 1080p HDTV for $549.99 ($100 off).
If you want to be the envy of all your friends, or host a big Super Bowl party, this is definitely the size you want to aim for. After all, the Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event of the year. Why wouldn’t you watch it on the biggest possible television you can? Here are the deals to help make that happen:
- Dell is offering a LG 60” 4k Ultra HD Smart TV for $1,119.99 ($1,390 in savings).
- Target has a Samsung 60” 1080p 120Hz LED TV for $849.99 ($250 off) or—if you want a bit bigger—the Samsung 65” version for $1,199.99 ($300 off).
- Finally, Best Buy has the LG 65” LED 1080p Smart HDTV Roku set for $799.99 ($300 off).
Curved televisions have started taking off recently, in good part because of lowering prices. There are a few advertised benefits to a curved TV: it reduces reflections, the image feels like it has more depth, it fills your vision more, and they even look a little sharper. But when it comes to the Super Bowl, one of its greatest virtues is that it gives many viewers a greater sense of immersion. If you can’t be at the Super Bowl, why not at least feel like you’re almost there? For those looking for Curved TVs there are a few deals worth noting:
- Walmart has Samsung 55” Curved 4K Ultra HD 2160p LED Smart HDTV for $997.00 ($900 in savings).
- Or if you want to go really big, Amazon has the 65” model of the Samsung for $1,497.99 ($1,202 off).
- And if you’ve got some serious money to spend, you can get $2000 off at Best Buy for the LG 55” OLED Curved 2160p Smart 3D 4K Ultra HDTV at a price of $2,999.98.
4K Ultra HDTVs
4K is going to be the future of television, and TV units are getting cheaper and cheaper. That’s why many experts suggest if you’re going to buy a new television, get a 4K so you’re future-ready. But there is a catch. There isn’t a lot of 4K content out there yet – including the Super Bowl broadcast. But hey, at least you’ll be prepared it when it arrives! Here are the sales:
- Walmart has a VIZIO 50” 4K Ultra HD 2160p120Hz LED Smart HD TV for $598 ($130 in savings), a Samsung 55” 4K Ultra HD 2160p LED Smart HD TV for $997.99 ($701 in savings), or an LG 55” 4K Ultra HD 2160p 120Hz Smart HD TV for $698.00 ($202 off).
- Over at Best Buy there are also a bunch of options. There’s the Sony 55” LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV for $999.99 ($400 off) and the 65” Sony model for $1,499.99 ($600 off). There’s also the Sharp AQUOS 60” LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV for $1,199.99 ($500 off) which also has a giant 70” option for $1,799.99 ($500 off). Finally, there’s the Samsung 50” LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HDTV for $799.99 ($500 off) or a Samsung 60” LED 2160p Smart 3D 4K Ultra HD TV for $999.99 ($800 off).
Not sure which models are a good fit? Visit our TV shopping guide to find the right TV for your needs.