The Bills kept their 2015 playoff hopes alive with a win over Houston on Sunday, but they’ll need help – ideally, from Cincinnati, who plays Pittsburgh this weekend – plus a win over Philadelphia to move up the standings again in Week 14.
The Buffalo Bills won on Sunday to even their record at 6-6, but with four games left in the regular season, they are still one game back in the AFC playoff race, just as they were a week ago. They did, however, up from tenth place to eighth, passing the Oakland Raiders and Houston Texans.
Taking a quick peek, the Bills control their own destiny against the sixth-seeded New York Jets with a Week 17 showdown looming. The Pittsburgh Steelers seem to be the most likely team to stumble, with games against the current number one seed Cincinnati Bengals and number two seed Denver Broncos coming in the next two weeks, but that’s obviously no guarantee.
The Bills are in prime position to make a run at this after picking up another AFC win, but they’ll need some help. Here is the complete breakdown of the AFC playoff picture:
1. Cincinnati Bengals (10-2, 8-1 AFC)
2. Denver Broncos (10-2, 6-2 AFC, head-to-head win over NE)
3. New England Patriots (10-2, 7-1 AFC, head-to-head loss to DEN)
4. Indianapolis Colts (6-6, head-to-head win over HOU)
5. Kansas City Chiefs (7-5, 6-2 AFC)
6. New York Jets (7-5, 5-4 AFC)
7. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-5, 4-4 AFC)
8. Buffalo Bills (6-6, 6-5 in AFC, head-to-head win over HOU)
9. Houston Texans (6-6, 4-5 AFC, head-to-head losses to IND & BUF)
10. Oakland Raiders (5-7, 5-4 AFC)
11. Miami Dolphins (5-7, 3-6 AFC)
12. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8, head-to-head win over BAL)
13. Baltimore Ravens (4-8, head-to-head loss to JAX)
14. San Diego Chargers (3-9, 2-6 AFC)
15. Tennessee Titans (3-9, 1-7 AFC)
16. Cleveland Browns* (2-10)
* – Eliminated from playoff contention
This article was written by Matt Warren from SB Nation Buffalo Rumblings and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.