Last year, we introduced Hands-Free TVTM with Amazon Alexa for our Hopper family of set-top boxes, making it possible to play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content using only your voice. It turns out, our customers love ditching their remotes and truly enjoy the convenience Alexa brings to their home entertainment. So, we want to give them even more opportunities to go hands-free by expanding these capabilities.
Today, we’re introducing new Alexa voice controls for commonly used functions on our receivers. Now you can ask Alexa to set recordings, launch apps like Game Finder, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, and easily access the Home, Guide, DVR, On Demand, Settings and Help menus – all without lifting a finger. Simply use phrases like:
- “Alexa, record this”
- “Alexa, launch Netflix”
- “Alexa, open Game Finder”
- “Alexa, go to my Home Screen”
- “Alexa, go to my DVR”
If you have already paired your DISH receiver to Alexa, you can start using these commands without making any changes to your setup. To pair your internet-connected Hopper, Hopper Duo, Joey or Wally with an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Fire TV Cube or another Alexa-enabled device for the first time, follow the instructions below.
How to set-up Alexa on DISH
- Enable DISH TV in the Alexa app: Open the Alexa app on a mobile device and select Music, Video & Books > DISH TV > Enable Skill.
- Get receiver code: Turn on internet-connected Hopper or Wally, and go to Menu > Settings > Amazon Alexa > Get Code. Enter the generated code into the Alexa app and select Activate. Click Donein the confirmation message.
- Pair set-top box with Amazon Echo, Echo Show or Echo Dot: In the Alexa app, select desired Hopper, Wally or Joey receiver from list of discoverable devices. Click Continue. Select Echo device to be synced with chosen receiver. Click Link Devices. Repeat this step for all set-top boxes to be paired with Echo
For more information about the Alexa integration with DISH, including possible commands and additional set-up instructions, visit www.dish.com/AmazonAlexaIntegration.