Over the past year, we were very excited to see that the Google Assistant has become increasingly popular, being accessible on more than 500 million devices. That’s good news for DISH customers, because these devices now include your TV receiver.
Starting today, DISH is bringing you Hands-Free TVTM that works with the Google Assistant . With any Google Assistant-enabled smart speaker, Android phone or iPhone, simply use your voice to control your TV programming.
The Google Assistant works with any internet-connected Hopper DVR (all generations), Hopper Duo, Joey client (all models) or Wally receiver. So, say goodbye to your remote and start using your voice instead!
How to use the Google Assistant on DISH
Use the Google Assistant to navigate, play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content based on channel, title, actor or genre. You can even search for content across your live, recorded and on-demand programming, as well as Netflix’s TV shows and movies. Just start by saying ‘Hey Google’:
|● “Turn on my Hopper”
● “Mute my Hopper”
● “Change the channel to ESPN”
● “Tune to channel 140”
● “Go to Food Network”
● “Show me Big Bang Theory”
● “Show me home improvement shows”
● “Record Game of Thrones on Hopper”
|● “Show me Tom Hanks movies”
● “Play This is Us”
● “Play Top Gun on DISH”
● “Launch Netflix on Hopper”
● “Open Game Finder on Hopper”
● “Skip forward on Joey”
● “Rewind 30 seconds”
● “Pause” and “Resume”
Ready to start using the Google Assistant with DISH? Here’s how:
- Download the Google Assistant app on an iOS or Android device.
- Enable DISH in the Google Assistant app: Tap the ‘Explore” icon in the top right corner of the screen, then the Menu → Settings → Home Control → ‘+’ → DISH.
- Pair your internet-connected set-top box with the Google Assistant: On your DISH set-top box, go to Menu → Settings → Google Assistant → Get Code.
- Enter the code generated from the Google Assistant app and select “Activate.”
- Wait for the app to find discoverable devices. Confirm your devices and assign them to the correct rooms.
To learn more about how to pair the Google Assistant with your DISH Hopper, Hopper Duo, Joey or Wally, check out the out the Google Assistant & DISH setup page or the DISH & Google Assistant information page.